Saturday, June 14, 2014

Enjoy today...

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today." 
-- Thomas Jefferson (I think)

To me, this quote is about fully embracing the present moment -- taking full advantage of the day I have right in front of me.

I can chose to live fully in the here and now. I can chose to see today as a gift.

We shouldn't waste time dwelling on yesterday or planning for tomorrow. We have today to be the person God would have us be, to do the things He'd have us do. And who knows, we may love it so much we'll want to do it again tomorrow.



I happened upon this example (below) and enjoyed the visual of an avalanche. While I'm not looking to leave a path of destruction in my wake, I do like the idea that small things can gather momentum and become a powerful force.

"Newton’s First Law says that 'An object that is at rest will stay at rest unless an unbalanced force acts upon it.' So there is momentum in sloth, delaying, procrastinating and all the other euphemisms for the act of not doing. The opposite is just as important.  Avalanches start when just the tiniest of pebbles or snowflakes bumps into just the right spot.  All that pent up potential energy is released, and gathers speed, strength and momentum.  By putting off until tomorrow, you are robbing yourself of the “mighty Mo” (momentum)."

When I live fully in each moment, I open myself to joys that might otherwise escape me.

My prayer for the day: 
Lord, help me live fully in the here and now. Help me make today a good one by doing Your will. Help me become all that You would have me be, just for today. Help me find joy and satisfaction in whatever tasks I accomplish today without worry if they are good enough for tomorrow.  If I am having trouble, I will ask for Your help.

The song that inspired me this morning is from Tim McGraw:


No comments:

Post a Comment