Saturday, November 9, 2013

Heather' Leek, Potato, Sausage Soup

About a month ago, I signed up for a weekly organic food box delivery to support local farmers AND try new fruits and veggies I wouldn't normally buy at the grocery store. While I look forward to my goodies each week, the other day I realized I didn't have a real plan for using the veggies before they went bad (yes, I know I need to write up a meal plan in the future).

In a rush to put nature's bounty to good use (I HATE throwing away fruits and veggies!) I scouted Pinterest for recipes. I found a few that piqued my interest, but this one won out. The only ingredient I didn't have on hand was the Spanish chorizo...so I improvised with some Italian sausage and extra spices I had on hand and made a super duper, yummy soup (I ate two bowls and almost went back for a third...).

Although I didn't have any, I think this would be very tasty served in a crusty, sourdough bread bowl or with some crusty French bread on the side.

For those of you who have asked, here's how I made it:

Leek, potato, sausage soup
  • 2 Italian sausage links (squeeze out of casings and crumble, brown)
  • 3 large potatoes, or 6 small (peeled and cut into about 1/2 inch pieces)
  • 2 leeks (cleaned and sliced well)
  • 1 bunch kale (touch stems removed, chopped well)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp red and black pepper (McCormick's "Hot Shot" red and black pepper blend is perfect for this)
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (and more to taste)
  • 8 cups chicken broth



1. Heat oil and garlic in med-high heat in stock pot or Dutch oven until light gold and aromatic. Add sausage, crumble and brown, adding paprika and pepper (about 3-4 minutes)



2. Add leeks, potatoes and salt to sausage. Toss well and cover with lid. Cook until leeks and potatoes start to "sweat", but leeks don't wilt (about 3-5 minutes)



3. Add broth (broth should cover meat and vegetables, if you need more, add some water). Simmer until potatoes start soften.



4. Once potatoes are soft, use potato masher to thicken soup in pot (you want to keep some chunks, so don't go too crazy) and then add chopped kale.



5. Cover and continue to simmer 7-8 minutes, until kale softens and looses the raw/bitter taste. Check and and add more seasoning as necessary.

Serve and enjoy!

(the oil/fat you see in the bowl is really from the sausage and isn't as bad as it looks)


Note: total time cook time is about 20-30 minutes, but I think you could simmer in the stove for a little longer to keep warm.

If you try it, I would love to know how yours turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment