Friday, June 3, 2011

I *heart* technology!

OK, so I splurged today and used my allowance to buy a new gadget...an Apple TV! I'm super excited about it. Netflix, cheap iTunes movies, and burned copies of old DVDs...oh my!

 
I swear my geekiness never ceases to amaze me. We totally have a role-reversal thing happening in our family--I'm the gadget nut, not my hubby.

Truth be told, I'm a sucker for anything with an apple on it! This post isn't meant to be a complete endorsement for Mac, but I honestly haven't been happier with all of our products. The only thing missing from my collection is an iPad. I do have a birthday coming up, so maybe I'll super luck out and get one for a gift...hint, hint adoring friends and family members! :-)


Because I'd like to post an update from time to time about my opinion on my purchase, let me give some background--the reason I thought this purchase was a smart decision. So, I found myself in need of the first and third Harry Potter movie the other day (kiddos are now getting more interested). I popped into BestBuy to pick them up on blu-ray and before I knew it, I had spent +$30. At first I didn't think too much about it, the average price for movies, right? And yet, I had a lingering feeling like somehow I was being robbed...mainly because I knew that at any given moment my lovely children would scratch, muck up, or lose the newly purchased movies (which I hoped would be the start of a collection) and that they were yet another purchase that might as well have wings and a dollar bill symbol stamped on them.

Once home, I decided to do a quick search online to see if I spent too much money on the movies, and low and behold, iTunes was offering a special for the first in the Harry Potter series...$4.99 to OWN. Wait a minute, that's $10 cheaper AND I don't have to worry about a loose disc to keep from getting scratched. Hmmm...so, how do I make this work for us?

I honestly can't say how I happened upon reviews and discussion about Apple TV (which is something I had in fact considered before), but there I was, reading about the convenient little black box, literally not much bigger than my palm.

From what I can tell, this is a total win. For less than $100 (and the only wires include a HDMI and power cable) I can connect to Netflix, YouTube, iTunes (which of course includes all the movies and music I have stored on my computer in my iTunes library) and a variety of other online resources...it's portable, small, simple (it was so easy to set up) and has a really sleek remote...what could be better?



So, I promise to keep you all updated about my latest purchase...share with you pros and cons, if there are any cons.

My goal is to save money and leave less of an ecological imprint (NO discs...yay!) because of our movie-loving tendencies...all while feeding this family's indescribable, and often unquenchable, desire for digital entertainment.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment